Skip to main content

Feeling anxious?

Find out why and learn some techniques to help you cope.

Survivors West Yorkshire

Survivors West Yorkshire provides support to men and women in West Yorkshire who have been affected by sexual violence.

Veterans Bereavement Support Service

The service provides a tailored service for families needing assistance with bereavement and support, including advice on funeral care, 365 days a year. Their comprehensive range of services support people, not just after they have lost someone special, but also before, so that the support is available and they can plan ahead.

Mindline Trans+

The helpline offers a confidential space for you to talk about your feelings and signpost you to appropriate services and support. Non-binary gender includes any gender identity which does not fit the male and female binary. MindLine Trans+ is run by trans volunteers.

Leeds Bereavement Forum

If you have lost someone and need to find the right support Leeds Bereavement Forum offers information about bereavement and grief, and can signpost you to the most appropriate local bereavement services.


Gingerbread can help if you have children and are facing divorce or separation. They also run friendship groups.

Home Energy Service

A service worker can carry out a property review and advise you how to make the best use of your heating and hot water systems and suggest ways of keeping the heat in your home. They can also provide help with understanding your fuel bills, help you identify the best available tariff, provide advice about fuel debt and check your entitlement to benefits and tax credits.

Leeds Sexual Health

They can help if you are worried about HIV or if you think that you might have a sexually transmitted infection (STI), might be pregnant, need emergency contraception or if you have been sexually assaulted. You can also make an appointment online or chat live Monday to Friday 2pm-4pm. The website also has lots of useful information.


The service offers free, independent advice and can help people in a range of difficulties. If you are having benefits, money or housing problems; worrying about having your electric or gas cut off; being sanctioned; experiencing domestic abuse, or, if you've spilt from your partner - this service can help. Call to book an appointment. Horizons also offers support advocacy services and workshops.

CALM - Campaign Against Living Miserably (freephone)


Solace supports the survivors of persecution and exile many of whom have been traumatised by torture, rape, the death or the disappearance of loved ones. Speak to Solace about different kinds of support including psychotherapy, complementary therapies, group support and advocacy.

Alcoholics Anonymous (AA)

Call the AA to get support and advice for your alcohol use or someone else's. You can also get information about AA's “12-step" programme which involves getting sober with the help of local support group meetings. You can just turn up at a meeting. Find your nearest meeting group on the AA website.

HopelineUK (freephone)

You can also call Hopelink UK if you are concerned a young person may be having thoughts of suicide.

Open bank holidays 2pm-5pm

Are you pregnant or a new parent?

Get information and support.

The Space

The Space is located near Leeds city centre where there is a mixture of social space, art and craft activities, education opportunities and peer support groups. Contact The Space to find out how to become a member. The Space is not a crisis service.

Engage Leeds

Engage Leeds can work with you to prevent homelessness and manage your tenancy - housing support workers will work with your needs and goals and support you in your own home or out in the community. Engage Leeds also offers specialist advice and support in a range of areas including benefits, employment, dementia and volunteering / peer support. You can self-refer to this service.

The Silver Line

Call Silver Line for information, friendship and advice at any time of the day or night.

Leeds Domestic Violence Service

  • 0113 2460401 (local rate but staff can call you back to save you paying)
  • Open: 24/7

Leeds Domestic Violence Service helpline is open 24 hours every day for confidential support, information and access to emergency accommodation for women and men experiencing violence, fear or abuse at home. If you are experiencing domestic violence and need somewhere to go, you can call at any time day or night.

Red Cross

Service is by referral only. Please phone - visits are by appointment only.


You can talk to Frank if you are worried about yourself or someone you know. Frank can give advice and information about services and treatments that can help. Email through talktofrank

Quick self-help

Some things you can do to feel better now.

ManKind Initiative

  • 01823 334244
  • Open: Monday 10am-4pm, Tuesday 10am-4pm, Wednesday 10am-4pm, Thursday 10am-4pm, Friday 10am-4pm

The ManKind Initiative confidential helpline offers both emotional support and practical information. Calls from mothers, sisters and friends seeking information are welcome.

Forward Leeds

You can call Forward Leeds for advice, information and support if you are concerned about your alcohol use or drugs use or someone else's. You can also call to refer yourself or someone else to alcohol or drug services in Leeds or download a referral form from the website. You will then be invited to an appointment to discuss your needs before being assigned a case manager who will work with you to support your recovery.

Stop Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Hate Crime Line

Call the round the clock helpline for advice and support.

Text: 07717 989 025

Survivors UK

Survivors UK run a helpline which you can use either online (web chat), via text (sms chat) or whatsapp. The helpliners are experienced in supporting you to share things at your own pace, when you are ready. The chat is under your control, so you can choose to end the conversation whenever you want. If this is your first time using it, they will support you through the process.

Support after Rape and Sexual Violence Leeds (SARSVL)

  • 0808 802 3344 (freephone) or you can text 07797 803 211
  • Open: Mo 18:00-20:00; Tu 20:00-23:00; We 18:00-20:00; Th 20:00-23:00; Fr 18:00-20:00; Su 14:00-17:00

A volunteer (women only) will offer you confidential emotional support and can also help you explore your options. As well as providing support by phone and text, SARVSL offer face-to-face appointments in a women-only safe space in the city centre. A volunteer will listen and help you talk about how you are feeling. Appointments can be made by telephone or email (but not text) and are available on Sundays, 2-5pm and Mondays and Wednesdays, 6-8pm.

SARSVL also offer counselling and advocacy to woman aged 18 and over who have experienced sexual violence at any time in their lives. These services can be accessed by emailing or

Call 111 (freephone)

Call 111 and speak to a highly trained adviser, supported by healthcare professionals. They will ask you a series of questions to assess your symptoms and immediately direct you to the best medical care for you or someone you are concerned about.

Stop Learning Disability Hate Crime Line

Call the round the clock helpline for advice and support. Text: 07717 989 025

Terrence Higgins Trust

Call the Terrance Higgins Trust for emotional support, advice or information if you are worried about your sexual health or have concerns about living with HIV.

Narcotics Anonymous (NA)

  • 0300 999 1212 (national rates)
  • Open: Mo 10:00-00:00; Tu 10:00-00:00; We 10:00-00:00; Th 10:00-00:00; Fr 10:00-00:00; Sa 10:00-00:00; Su 10:00-23:00
Call the NA for support and advice for your drug use or someone else’s. Or you can just turn up at a local support group meeting - find your nearest meeting group on the NA website.

National Debtline

You can either call National Debtline for free debt advice or use their online advice service which takes you through four clear steps to control your debt and increase your income. The website also has lots of helpful information and factsheets about all aspects of debt including bankruptcy, court action and dealing with different kinds of loans.

Refugee Action

National charity which supports the rights of refugees and asylum seekers in the UK. See their website for information.

Local Welfare Support Scheme

  • 0113 376 0330
  • Open: Mo 09:00-17:00; Tu 09:00-17:00; We 09:00-17:00; Th 09:00-17:00; Fr 09:00-17:00
The scheme supports families and single vulnerable people under exceptional pressure to get help with food, fuel, travel and removal costs and basic household goods. The scheme is based on providing support to people through direct awards of goods and services. Contact the Local Welfare Support team to make an application.

LGBT Foundation

Call the LGBT Foundation national helpline for advice, support and information about any issue that might be affecting you such as coming out, bullying, relationships or keeping safe.

Welfare Rights

You can contact Welfare Rights if you have got a problem with your benefits and need free, confidential and independent advice. Welfare Rights can also help you to complete a claim, or give you guidance and support when making an appeal.

You can call the advice line, make an appointment to see a welfare rights worker at one of the advice surgeries located in City Council one stop centres or ask about home visits if you will find it difficult to get to a surgery. You can find the times and locations of Welfare Rights surgeries here.

The Royal British Legion

The Legion is a UK charity providing lifelong support to members of the Royal Navy, British Army, Royal Air Force, Reservists, veterans and their families all year round.

Citizens Advice

Find your local branch. You can ring the Leeds City Centre branch Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm or drop in from 9am-4pm.

You can also access lots of helpful information on the Citizens Advice website.

Leeds MIC

Leeds City Council has produced a website called Leeds MIC (Money Information Centre) which helps people in Leeds with money problems.

Relaxation breathing

A short video to show how diaphragmatic breathing can help you to feel calmer and ease a panic attack.

Leeds food banks

Food banks provide food parcels to people who are homeless or in need. You can find out more about food banks in Leeds on the Leeds Food Aid Network website and about where to find a food drop-in or soup kitchen.

The Money Advice Service

You can access support from the Money Advice Service over the telephone or online from their webchat. The website provides interactive tools and information on a range of issues – from budgeting to savings, credit and borrowing, mortgages and debt as well as managing life changes such as starting a family or losing a job.

Beaumont Trust

If you are unable to get through to the helpline at any time, please leave a message and they'll get back to you. You can also email them.

The Forces Employment Charity (RFEA)

You can register for RFEA services here or call the Central Support Team on 0121 236 0058.

The Samaritans helpline

From relationships to money, health or family troubles - you can talk about whatever is getting to you at any time of the day or night. You don't have to be suicidal to call.

Beat Eating Disorders (Beat) Adult Helpline

You can call Beat to talk about eating disorders and get information about services and treatments that can help, including peer support. Beat also has youth and student helplines, moderated message boards, one-to-one web chat and a range of online support groups. You can find all the details on the Beat website.

Royal British Legion Industries (RBLI)

The RBLI offer a wide range of support to armed forces veterans including free employment support and career opportunities, housing and accommodation and nursing care.


  • 0300 123 1110 (local rates)
  • Open: Mo 09:00-20:00; Tu 09:00-20:00; We 09:00-20:00; Th 09:00-20:00; Fr 09:00-20:00; Sa 11:00-16:00; Su 11:00-16:00
Call Drinkline for support, self-materials and information about where to go for help.

The Warrior Programme

The Warrior Programme runs residential programmes for veterans and adult family members of veterans. Attending a programme can help you to learn tools and techniques to improve confidence, self-belief and resilience and to manage your emotional wellbeing.

Poppy Factory

Veterans UK

Veterans UK also provides welfare support for veterans of any age, and their families through the Veterans Welfare Service and the Veterans UK helpline: 0808 1914 2 18.

Veterans UK can help ex-service personnel get appropriate support from government, local authorities, independent bodies and the charity sector. The helpline offers advice on war disablement pension and armed forces compensation scheme claims and on other issues including benefits, pensions, loans and grants, emergency accommodation, finding a job, retraining, health issues, welfare concerns, service records and medals.

Behind Closed Doors

Offers community-based outreach services which provide practical and emotional support, advocacy and information.

Citizens Advice Leeds Mental Health Outreach Advice Service

The service can give you advice on benefits, housing, immigration, employment and debt and can support you to understand your rights and help fill in forms. You will have an initial telephone interview and, if needed, a face-to-face appointment can be booked. Download a leaflet for more information about the service.

Leeds Crisis Assessment Service

  • 0300 300 1485 (local-rate charges)
  • Open: 24/7

The CAS is an assessment service for people who are experiencing mental health problems which may lead that person to consider harming themselves and/or others.

The CAS can offer assessments the same day or within the next 72 hours as required.

West Yorkshire Victim Support

Victim Support is independent of the police so you can contact them in confidence about any kind of crime including burglary, domestic abuse and sexual violence. It doesn't matter whether you have reported the crime or how long ago it took place. Victim Support can offer both emotional and practical support including help with house security, information about the criminal justice system and support with reporting a crime. Support is adapted to individual needs to help people cope with the different effects of crime. All services are for both men and women. You can contact the national helpline on 08 08 1689 111 when the regional centre is closed.

Money Buddies

Money Buddies offer a drop-in service throughout 29 centres in Leeds which support people to get help with a large range of money issues, including checking you are on the right benefits; dealing with loan companies; finding the best energy deal and opening a credit union account. A Money Buddy can also help you build up your confidence to deal with money issues yourself.

Visit the Money Buddies website for centre details and drop-in times.

Help for Heroes

No matter when someone served, Help for Heroes offers support to help people lead active, independent and fulfilling lives. It can also support the whole family to help them all cope with the challenges they face.


Galop is a completely independent community-led group. The service is confidential, and you can contact Galop anonymously if you choose. Galop runs the National LGBT Domestic Abuse Helpline on 0800 999 5428.

Combat Stress

Combat Stress offer welfare support and free treatments for a range of mental health problems including Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, anxiety and depression to veterans across the UK.

You can also text on 07537 404 719. Standard charges may apply for texts, please check with your provider.

Serving personnel and their families can call 0800 323 4444.

Veterans' Gateway

There's a huge network of organisations supporting the Armed Forces community, so finding the right one for your needs can be tricky. Veterans' Gateway make it quick and easy by being your first point of contact for whatever support you need. The team work with people on a one-to-one basis, connecting them with the right support as soon as possible. The helpline is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

You can also make contact via email or Live Chat on their website. You can also text your details to 81212 and one of their advisers will be in touch as soon as possible.

Stonewall – Information service

Call the Stonewall information for help and guidance.

St Anne's Mental Health Supported Housing Service

Call or email to find out how to self-refer to this service which is for single people aged 16 and over who are experiencing enduring mental health problems.

National LGBT Domestic Abuse Helpline (Galop)

  • 0800 999 5428
  • Open: Mo 10:00-17:00; Tu 10:00-17:00; We 10:00-20:00; Th 10:00-20:00; Fr 10:00-17:00

Emotional and practical support for LGBT people experiencing domestic abuse. Abuse isn't always physical - it can be psychological, emotional, financial and sexual too. Galop is a safe space to talk and think about what you want away from pressure at home. Galop can help you to explore your options, plan to make you safer, look for safe housing and speak with the police.

1pm – 5pm Tuesday is trans specific service.

Online chat is available on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 5pm - 8pm.

24-hour National Domestic Violence Helpline

Call for confidential support, help and information from trained female helpline support workers.

The Helpline can give support, help and information over the telephone, wherever the caller might be in the country. The Helpline is staffed 24 hours a day by fully trained female helpline support workers and volunteers. All calls are completely confidential.

Translation facilities for callers whose first language is not English, and a service for callers who are deaf or hard of hearing are available.

Positive Action for Refugees and Asylum Seekers (PAFRAS)

A drop-in for refugees and asylum seekers is held on Wednesdays 10 am - 1 pm at St Aidan's Community Hall, off Roundhay Road in Harehills, Leeds

Yorkshire Mesmac

Call Mesmac Leeds office to discuss what services are available to support you including group and individual support. BME and asylum/refugee specific services are available. You can book counselling (one-to-one support) online on the Mesmac website. If you are worried that you have been exposed to HIV in the last 72 hours (3 days) you can speak to Mesmac to find out about PEP (Post Exposure Prophylaxis), a course of HIV medication. If you start taking PEP within 72 hours it may prevent you from becoming infected with HIV.

Victim Support national Supportline

Victim Support is independent of the police so you can contact them in confidence about any kind of crime including burglary, domestic abuse and sexual violence. It doesn't matter whether you have reported the crime or how long ago it took place. Victim Support can offer both emotional and practical support including help with house security, information about the criminal justice system and support with reporting a crime. Support is adapted to individual needs to help people cope with the different effects of crime. All services are for both men and women. If you'd prefer to talk to someone locally, West Yorkshire Victim Support can be contacted on 0300 303 197.

If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you can contact the Supportline using Next Generation Text 18001 08 08 16 89 111. Supportline also has an interpretation service for people who do not speak English as a first language.

Winston's Wish

Offers practical support and guidance to bereaved children, their families and professionals. Not open bank holidays.

BHA Leeds Skyline

If you have just been diagnosed with HIV or have been living with the virus for some time, you can call Skyline for help. Services include one-to-one support, counselling, workshops, training, support groups and peer support.


  • 0344 334 0550 (Calls to 0344 numbers cost the same as calling a normal home or business line)
  • Open: Mo-Fr 09:00-21:00;

Call Mermaids for emotional support and signposting to different forums, training and resources.

The helpline is manned by volunteers so there are no specific opening hours but calls are answered throughout the day and evening and any voicemails will be responded to as soon as possible. If you can only receive calls at a particular time, please include this in your message. If there is no-one available to talk to and your situation is urgent, please email.

Mermaids offers a webchat service periodically. When available, this is shown as 'open' on the webchat icon on right hand side of their Helpline and Email Support page.

Cruse Bereavement Care Helpline

If someone you know has died you can you talk things through with a trained volunteer. They can also signpost you to other services and useful sources of information. Closed bank holidays.

National Association for People Abused in Childhood (NAPAC)

  • 0808 801 0331 (freephone)
  • Open: Mo 10:00-21:00; Tu 10:00-21:00; We 10:00-21:00; Th 10:00-21:00; Fr 10:00-18:00
Support and information for survivors of abuse in childhood and those that support them.

Looking after someone?

Find out about the support available for carers

Ebor Garden Advice Centre (EGAC)

  • 0113 235 0276
  • Open: Mo 09:00-15:00; Tu 09:00-15:00; We 10:00-12:00; Th 09:00-15:00; Fr 09:00-15:00
You can contact EGAC for free, confidential and independent advice about debt. EGAC provides a full debt advice, legal advocacy, representation and casework service. Call to make an appointment or you can drop-in on Wednesdays at 10-12pm.

Leeds Cruse Bereavement Care

Call the Leeds office to find out about bereavement services available in Leeds.

Cruse run a drop-in on the first and third Wednesday of every month 4.30pm-6.15pm at Robert Ogden Centre, St James Beckett Street Leeds LS9 7TF.

SMART Recovery

SMART meetings are open to anyone struggling with the problems of addictive behaviour. They are led by someone who is themselves in recovery and the purpose of meetings is to help each other through mutual support and open and confidential discussion. You can find your nearest meeting through the SMART Recovery website or by contacting them. Meetings are available in Leeds and also online.

Refugee Council

The Refugee Council is a national charity which works directly with refugees, supporting them to rebuild their lives.

Veterans Outreach Service

Service is open to veterans registered with GPs across Yorkshire and the Humber. Call to refer yourself or access a referral form.

The service is available to anyone who has completed one day's service or more with the British Military, is a Reservist not currently deployed or is a family member of military personnel.

Bereavement and loss

Find more information about experiencing bereavement and loss.

Do you carry a crisis card?

The Leeds Crisis Card is a credit card-sized fold-out leaflet which lists different services in Leeds that you can call if you are struggling to cope. You can pick one up at venues across the city including shops, cafes, restaurants and public buildings.

Mind Infoline

The Mind team can provide information on a range of topics such as different mental health problems, where to get help (including support in your own area), medication and alternative treatments and advocacy.

Time to Talk counselling service

Coping with poor health, whether it's physical or mental, can be difficult for the person who is unwell as well as for their family or friends. Being ill for a long time can cause arguments and stress between family members or close friends, as people try to cope with the effects of an illness.

Talking about the problems can and does help, and Relate Mid Yorkshire is offering up to 6 sessions of free counselling to individuals, couples or families to help them talk about the problems and find a better way forward for the future.

This service is offered via webcam, and any device that connects to the internet such as a smart phone, a tablet or computer can be used. This service is currently for people in North Leeds.

GamCare (Helpline)

  • 0808 8020 133 (free from landlines, mobile phones and BT call boxes within the UK. Number does appear on itemised bills).
  • Open: Mo 08:00-00:00; Tu 08:00-00:00; We 08:00-00:00; Th 08:00-00:00; Fr 08:00-00:00; Sa 08:00-00:00; Su 08:00-00:00

If a problem with gambling is affecting you or someone you know you can call GamCam for emotional support and confidential advice. Their expert services are confidential and non-judgemental. GamCare counselling provides a safe, confidential way for you to talk about your situation, either in person or online. The GamCam website has information about problem gambling and how it can affect your life.

Warmth for Wellbeing

To qualify for this free service offered by the Green Doctors at Groundwork in partnership with Care & Repair Leeds you must pay council tax to Leeds City Council and be able to fit at least one from each section below:

• Aged over 60.
• Pregnant or have children under 16 living with you.
• Have a disability or cold-related long-term health condition.


• Your household income is less than £21,000 per year.
• Receive any income-related benefits.

The Mix (formerly Get Connected)

  • 0808 808 4994 (freephone)
  • Open: Mo 11:00-23:00; Tu 11:00-23:00; We 11:00-23:00; Th 11:00-23:00; Fr 11:00-23:00; Sa 11:00-23:00; Su 11:00-23:00

You can call The Mix if you are feeling low, anxious or lonely or want to talk through something that is upsetting you like relationship difficulties, family problems or drug use.

Leeds Nightline

Leeds Nightline is open from 8pm until 8am every night of term including weekends. Call 0113 380 1285. The service also offers e-listening online with Instant Messaging that runs from 8pm until midnight or you can email

Al-Non Family Groups

Someone else's drinking can affect your life - be it a relative or friend. Al-Anon Family Groups hold regular meetings in Leeds where members share their own experience of living with alcoholism. Al-Anon does not offer advice or counselling, but members give each other understanding and strength. Search here to find a group.

When should I talk to my GP?

And how to prepare for an appointment.

Leeds Housing Options

They will do everything they can to help you stay where you are or find you another place to live. Leeds Housing Options Surgeries are also held at other locations, details can be found here.

You can find advice for what to do in an emergency (out of office hours) here.


You can talk to an expert housing adviser about your housing situation. Their helpline is open every day of the year. Shelter has two housing advice helpline numbers.

When it's not urgent, for example:

  • You could not find the information you need in their online housing advice.
  • You need to talk to someone but are not at immediate risk.

Call 0808 256 5392.

When it's an emergency, for example:

  • You have nowhere to sleep, or might be homeless soon.
  • You have somewhere to sleep, but nowhere to call home.
  • You are/could be at risk of harm.
  • You feel very overwhelmed about your housing situation.

Call 0808 274 1338

Basis Yorkshire

  • 0113 243 0036
  • Open: Mo-Fr 09:00-17:00; Sa closed; Su closed

Basis can offer one-to-one support and help accessing other agencies or appointments, including making sure your voice is heard by other professionals. They work with you as long as you need it and offer peer support for girls and young women that no longer need one-to-one support. You can refer yourself or be referred, forms available online.

Basis Yorkshire sex work project

Basis Yorkshire sex work project supports female and transgender sex workers that work in all sectors of the Leeds sex industry, including those working indoors and online. They provide non-judgemental, free and confidential support and information around sexual health, sexual and domestic violence, benefits and housing, emotional support and referral to counselling, mental health and wellbeing services.

Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Centre (RASASC)

  • 0800 0288 022 (national freephone)
  • Open: Mo 19:30-21:30; Tu 19:30-21:30; We closed; Th 19:30-21:30; Fr closed; Su closed

Please call if you need any advice or emotional support or just need someone to listen sympathetically without making judgements. RASASC is also there for anyone supporting a survivor and needs to talk. Closed Saturdays and bank holidays.

The Survivors Trust

  • 0808 801 0818 (free helpline)
  • Open: Mo 10:00-16:00 18:00-20:00; Tu 10:00-16:00 18:00-20:00; We 10:00-16:00 18:00-20:00; Th 10:00-16:00 18:00-20:00; Fr 10:00-16:00;

Call the helpline for support, information and advice.

HALT (Help, Advice & the Law Team) Domestic Violence

You can talk to someone if you are a woman experiencing violence or fear at home. Are you a woman experiencing domestic violence or sexual abuse? Have you reported something to the police, or are you thinking about it, and don't know what to do next? Do you want some advice about injunctions or children's issues? Are you being forced into a marriage that you don't want to do?

Women's Counselling and Therapy Service

Venues are in the city centre and in communities around Leeds. WCTS offer services for women, including transgender women, experiencing depression, anxiety, domestic abuse, relationship difficulties and enduring problems arising from past physical, emotional or sexual abuse. The waiting list is currently closed (check their website for updates to see when opens again). If you are interested in finding out more about any of the above, please contact the office.

Men's Advice Line

The helpline gives you the time to tell your story, offers emotional support, provides practical advice and signposting you to other services for specialist help. The helpline is available for heterosexual, gay and bisexual male victims of domestic violence.

They also have a webchat available on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:00am to 4:00pm.

St Vincent's Support Centre

Its debt service is entirely confidential and has been awarded the Advice Quality Standard. Debt advisers give professional, personalised support and will help you look at how to increase your income and possible benefits and grants available to you. A drop-in session is open Monday 10:30 – 12:30, or call to make an appointment on 0113 248 4126.

Leeds Suicide Bereavement Service

  • 0113 305 5803 (local rates)
  • Open: Mo 10:00-02:00; Tu 10:00-18:00; We 10:00-02:00; Th 10:00-18:00; Fr 10:00-02:00; Sa 18:00-02:00; Su 18:00-02:00

Call Leeds Suicide Bereavement Service to find out how you can access group or individual support, practical information and one-to-one counselling. The service can support you whoever you have lost – whether a friend, colleague or relative – and whether your bereavement was a few days ago or many years. You can talk to a specialist worker Monday to Friday 10am-6pm. The service runs a drop-in group – first Tuesday of the month 6pm-8pm at the Civic Hall Leeds. You can also access the service by completing their self-referral form online.

Leeds City Credit Union

If you do need to borrow money you can contact Leeds City Credit Union to discuss their affordable loans which are offered at fair rates of interest. The Union is a 'mutual' organisation and provides a range of savings plans and other accounts that help members save and manage their money. You can call Leeds City Credit Union or drop into one of their branches (details on the website).

Sexual Assault Referral Clinic (SARC)

  • 01924 298954
  • Open: Mo 09:00-17:00; Tu 09:00-17:00; We 09:00-17:00; Th 09:00-17:00; Fr 09:00-17:00

If you are 16 or over and have been raped or sexually assaulted within the past seven days you can contact the Sexual Assault Referral Clinic. A crisis worker will discuss your options with you and, if you wish, can arrange for you to have a forensic medical examination. You do not have to report the offence to the police in order to access this service. Evidence gained from an examination will be stored by the SARC for up to seven years. If, in future, you do decide to report the incident to the police, SARC can help you with his process. SARC can also help you with accessing further support and healthcare. You can still access support and information if you do not have a forensic medical examination. Call to book an appointment or for further advice and guidance.

Stop Hate UK

Call the round the clock helpline for advice and support. You can report hate crime by text to 07717 989 025

People who use British Sign Language can report hate crime in BSL using Interpreter Now between 8 am and midnight every day. See the Stop Hate UK homepage and scroll down the page to find details.

Anyone in West Yorkshire can also use the West Yorkshire Hate Crime Reporting App to report hate crime, available for Apple and Android. See the Stop Hate UK website for details or search the Apple App Store or Google Play for 'Stop Hate UK'.

Leeds Asylum Seekers's Support Network (LASSN)

  • 0113 373 1759
  • Open: Mo 09:00-16:30; Tu 09:00-16:30; We 09:00-16:30; Th 09:00-16:30; Fr 09:00-16:30

Anyone can refer or self-refer to LASSN by phone or email. There is currently a waiting list for both Befriending and English at Home, and all referrals to our accommodation must come via PAFRAS or the British Red Cross.

The Ripple Pond

The Ripple Pond has a range of services that members can access. If you contact them by phone or complete their online form, they will take you through their simple and free membership process.

The Ripple Pond runs peer-led support meetings for any adult family member who feels they would like support. Meetings happen around the country, but not currently in Leeds.

They run a buddy system which puts members directly in contact with another local member. They also have an online forum for members to join in discussions and offer or seek support as and when you are ready.

Carers Leeds

You can call Carers Leeds if you want to talk things over and you need someone to listen. Carers Leeds can also help If you want to know about available services or what you may be entitled to receive. They can also offer advice to help you make choices. You can also drop into Carers Leeds and talk to someone, Monday to Friday, 9.30am-3.30pm.


Relate can offer relationship counselling to people in Leeds via telephone, webcam or email. Face to face counselling can be accessed at a centre such as Bradford, Keighley, Huddersfield or Hull.

Teen Connect

If you're struggling and need to talk, no matter what the problem - Teen Connect is there for you.

The service can offer up to an hour of support either by phone or online chat.


Referrals will be accepted from professionals such as a GP, practice nurse, counsellors, teachers etc and from concerned family/friends or from the person experiencing difficulties.

Connect Helpline

Call Connect if you are feeling anxious, lonely, angry or just need to talk. Trained volunteers and workers provide compassionate, non-judgemental support and can give information about other services, if needed. Whatever your problems are - mental health, housing or money worries, caring for someone, bereavement or the end of a relationship - Connect can help. The Teen Connect service also offers support to teenagers aged 13-18 years old through the same helpline number. For more information, visit the Connect Helpline website

RETAS (Refugee Education Training Advice Service)

This includes connecting newly arrived asylum seekers with local volunteers who can help them settle in and engage with local services, ESOL classes, employability workshops and one-to-one guidance to help with accessing education and employment opportunities.

RETAS runs a drop-in session each week on a Friday 10am-1pm which supports people to find the right education and employment opportunities.

If you're new to RETAS, you should go to their Friday drop-in at their office on Roundhay Road to register, or call them on 0113 380 5630 to book an appointment.

Yorkshire Centre for Eating Disorders (YCED) weekly support group

This is a drop-in group and you do not need to have had a diagnosis to attend. Meets every Wednesday 5.30-6.30pm at the Newsam Centre, Seacroft Hospital. For more information download this poster.

Yorkshire Centre for Eating Disorders (YCED) monthly carers group

This is a drop-in group and meets on the first Wednesday of the month at 7-8.30pm and is run in partnership with the Leeds and York Partnership Foundation Trust (LYPFT) carers team. The person you are caring for does not need to have had a diagnosis for you to attend this group.

Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT)

IAPT offers therapies for mild Bulimia and Binge eating disorder. If you are over 17 years of age and registered with a Leeds GP, you can self-refer to the service through an online form.


The service can offer you time with an experienced therapist in a confidential space. Appointments are on Mondays from February 2019. Email now to secure a place. Download a poster for more information.


You can phone Childline, email or talk via online chat.