Talking to your midwife, GP or health visitor

You can talk to your midwife, GP or health visitor, at any stage, about how you’re feeling. They will ask you some questions to understand a bit more about what you’ve been experiencing and discuss what support is available to help you feel better.

Any health professional you speak to should treat you with respect and understanding. If you speak to someone and don’t feel they understand, however, it’s OK to try speaking to another professional who makes you feel more comfortable.

You can find wide range of support in the MindWell Directory:

Key support services include:

Support for more serious mental health difficulties

If you experience more serious mental health problems your midwife, health visitor or GP can work with you to decide which service is best placed to support you:

  • The Leeds Specialist Perinatal Mental Health Team is a mental health service that supports some women with serious mental health problems in late pregnancy and in the baby’s 1st year. The service offers 24 hour in-patient care and support on the Yorkshire and Humber Mother and Baby Unit. The ward provides intensive care and support through a team of mental health nurses, psychiatrists and support workers. This is different from a general mental health ward as it means that the baby can stay on the ward with the mother rather than being separated. 

Watch this video about inpatient care at the Yorkshire and Humber Mother and Baby Unit.

If you’re under 18 and experiencing serious mental health difficulties during your pregnancy, you may be referred to the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS). More information about emotional health support for young people is available at MindMate.