There are lots of ways you can enjoy being outside and appreciate nature. You could try an activity that meets outside, or, join a group that cares for green spaces. This is also a great way of meeting new people.
There are gardening and allotment groups around Leeds, which encourage people to get together to grow and nuture plants, develop their garden care skills, get some exercise and have a chat.
- Feel Good Factor Gardening Group (Chapeltown) – Feel Good Factor Gardening Group offers a chance to make new friends and widen your gardening skills and you might even take away some fresh vegetables and herbs.
- Get Going, with Growing (Beeston) – Get Going, with Growing is a friendly community growing project from Groundwork to help people get out and about again in a Covid secure environment.
- Gipton Growers – Gipton Growers is a group who enjoy gardening outdoors, socialising and having a cup of tea. The group is run by Space2 and meet in Gipton on Tuesday afternoons.
- Hamara Healthy Living Centre (LS11) – Hamara Healthy Living Centre is an ethnic minority organisation that runs a wide range of groups and activities for different age groups.
- Holbeck Group – Holbeck Grow Your Own Group is for people in South Leeds aged 16 over. Grow fruit, vegetables, herbs and flowers and learn more about gardening and growing your own produce.
- Hollybush TCV (The Conservation Volunteers) in Kirkstall – Hollybush TCV (The Conservation Volunteers) is a community volunteering charity which offers a wide range of activities, courses and opportunities for volunteering.
- Oblong Leeds/Woodhouse Community Centre – gardening group run by Inkwell Arts. Find out more by calling 0113 245 9610 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- St Anne’s Community Service Allotment Group – St Anne’s Community Service Allotment Group in Beeston is a great way to get close to nature and promote a sense of wellbeing.
- The Urban Task Force Project (New Wortley) – The Urban Task Force Project from New Wortley Community Centre is an outdoor community and environmental project.
- Active Leeds (groups and classes) – Active Leeds supports people in Leeds to become active through low cost access to leisure centres and a timetable of community sports and activities including football, swimming and zumba groups.
- Climb Alongside Mental Health (C/A/M) – Climb Alongside Mental Health (C/A/M) promotes the positive effects of rock climbing to help with mental health.
- Mental Health Mates Leeds – Mental Health Mates Leeds is a friendly peer support community group which meets monthly to walk, talk and share with others, without fear of judgement.
- #runandtalk – #runandtalk is a social running group for anyone who wants to improve their mental wellbeing through running.
- Run Talk Run – Run Talk Run aims to make both running and mental health support less intimidating and more accessible.
- Seacroft Wheelers (cycling club) – Seacroft Wheelers is a friendly cycling club based in the east of Leeds which welcomes all riders from raw beginners to competitive racers.
- Wheels 4 Fun – Wheels 4 Fun is a community disability cycling group.
- Leeds Girls Can – Leeds Girls Can celebrates active women in Leeds.
- Recovery Runners – Recovery Runners is a running group for anyone who is interested in running to recover from life changing events or addictive behaviours.
- Hamara Men’s Walking Group – Hamara runs an exercise and walking group for men aged 55 and over who live in the LS11 area.
- Your Space Leeds Women’s Walking Group – Your Space Leeds Women’s Walking Group in the LS8 area offers the opportunity to connect with nature, meet other women in the area and take some well-deserved time-out for yourself.
- Walk and Talk (Women’s Walking Group) – Walk and Talk (Women’s walking group) can help you rediscover the beauty of being outside, feel healthier and connect with other women.
- Leeds Ramblers – Leeds Ramblers brings people together for fresh air, exercise and the sheer enjoyment of walking in the countryside with good company.
- Ping Pong 4U – Ping Pong 4U offers Ping Pong activities for individuals of all ages and abilities, schools, charities and organisations.
Outdoor activity groups
- Cultural and Social Outings (Little London Arts) – Little London Arts (LLA) runs a project called Cultural and Social Outings that offers day trips for people in Leeds, aged over 50, who experience (or are at risk of) social isolation.
- Litter Free Leeds – Litter Free Leeds brings together volunteers across the city who collect litter and report fly tipping, giving the council a helping hand and making their local environment cleaner and more pleasant for all.
- Man About Town group – Man About Town is a music and digital art group for men in South Leeds coping with low mood, visiting different places in Leeds.
- Men’s Out and About group – Men’s out and about group can help you to get out of your normal area and explore the local countryside and industrial heritage of Yorkshire.